Thursday, May 28, 2009

Writing and Music

I took a little break from blogging, mostly because I've been short on time. Anyway, I mentioned in my last blog that I'd have more on the topic of whatever works. Well, here it is. Like my son, I also find myself motivated by music. I love music and will pretty much listen to just about anything (except classical and elevator music--I need lyrics!). Lately, I find myself listening to a lot of Top 40. Not because this is my favorite, but because my children listen to it. And if I'm in my car, my kids most likely are, too. As I remember back to writing my first novel, I recall thinking of certain songs while writing certain scenes. And every time one of those songs comes on, I think of that part of my book. For example: The female protagonist has this eerie dream. Disturbia by Rihanna always comes to mind. When I wrote the scene where the villain arrives in a black Mustang, I was thinking of Let it Rock by Kevin Rudolf. One of my favorite scenes in the book is when the male and female protagonists are sitting in a row boat and have their first kiss. It's interesting--one of my favorite songs, I'm Yours by Jason Mraz, was playing in my head as I wrote it. I don't want to give away the ending in case my book does end up on bookstore shelves, so I won't describe any more scenes, but here are a few more songs that were inspiration for me while I was writing. No Air by Jordan Sparks Don't Tell Me if I'm Dying by Thriving Ivy Try to Leave a Light on while I'm Gone by David Cook I Don't Care by Fall Out Boy How do I live without you by Leann Rimes There's many more, but I can't think of all of them right now. I think I'll go listen to my I-Pod. (Maybe I'll write a scene or two for my next novel, too!)

No comments: